Get Out of Town: Great Day Trips from Eindhoven
By Rebekah Villon @rvillon
If you are new to the Netherlands, or if you are only living here for a year or two on contract, it would be a shame to let the time go by without exploring a little and getting to know the country better. Using your weekends or holidays to take quick day trips gives you a richer and more diverse experience, and is also just a great way to break up your routine and do something a little different. All these destinations are within about an hour’s drive or less, or 1-2 hours on the train from Eindhoven, making them great for a day trip.
- Aachen, Germany. Aachen is a charming little city with a legendary cathedral. You can see Charlemagne’s throne, visit gorgeous thermal baths, see the ancient city towers, and tour the Gothic town hall. The city has an amazing place in European history, and is a lovely spot to visit.
- McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Mall, Roermond. If your idea of a day trip involves posh shopping at an affordable price, nearby Roermond has a designer outlet mall that attracts millions of visitors a year. It has shops, cafes, and a charming atmosphere. It’s also just a couple minutes into the charming historic city center of Roermond.
- Nijmegen. Nijmegen is the oldest city in the Netherlands, recognized by the Romans, and still has some fragments of Roman remains that can be seen today. It has a fascinating historic museum, a Carolingian chapel, and museums of modern art, African art, and a museum of oriental and religious art. For such a small city, it’s full of culture and history with surprising international connections.
- Nationaal Park de Biesbosch. If you are looking for a day in nature, Nationaal Park de Biesbosch is an idyllic spot for boating, biking, hiking, and enjoying unusual plants and animals seldom seen elsewhere in the Netherlands. Home to beavers, deer, foxes, and many unusual birds and birds of prey, and with a year-round calendar of tours and activities, it’s a great place to get away from it all, and fantastic for families.
- Bergen op Zoom. Bergen op Zoom is a small city with a fascinating military history. It has interesting examples of ingenious Dutch defensive works and a military history museum. It also has a charming beach, and is a great way to take advantage of warm weather.
- Antwerp, Belgium. Antwerp is only an hour from Eindhoven by car or bus, and is well worth exploring. In fact, Antwerp is probably more than you could do in a day, but should be kept in mind as a place to see while you’re in this part of the world. Antwerp is an extremely popular city for tourists, with a huge diversity of sights and activities, but, since you’re so close, you have the luxury of visiting outside of prime tourist season and avoiding the crowds.
With so many incredible cities, sights, and destinations just a short distance from Eindhoven, it’s easy to take a day or two here and there and explore the Netherlands. The region is rich in history, art, and culture just waiting to be discovered.